Town Supervisor, Budget Officer
Term: 4 Years
The town supervisor fills a significant role, serving in several major capacities, including:
- Presiding Officer (Chairperson) – The supervisor is the presiding officer at meetings of the Town Board.
(Town Law, Section 63).
- Town Legislator (Town Board Member) – The supervisor votes on matters before the Town Board as do all the other board members. (Town Law, Sections 60 and 63).
- Town Executive and Administrator – After town board decisions have been made, it is the supervisor who often carries out the decisions. The supervisor usually receives the majority of complaints and suggestions of citizens, as well.
- Town Fiscal Officer – The supervisor is the treasurer of the Town and generally represents the Town in the conduct of its financial affairs. (Town Law, Section 29).
- Representative of the Town (County Board Member) – The office of supervisor is a county as well as a Town post. The
supervisor serves on the county board as a representative of the town. (County Law, Section 150). The supervisor may also serve on county board committees and receives compensation as a member of the county board of supervisors (County Law, Section 200).